Posted on 10-04-2017
How to Make Your Own Sauerkraut
(thanks to Healthline)
· 1 medium green cabbage
· 1 Tbsp (15 ml) non-iodized salt
· 2–3 carrots, shredded (optional)
· 2–3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (optional)
Have a 1-quart (1-liter) jar ready to keep the sauerkraut in, a 4-ounce (120-ml) smaller jar to press it down and a kitchen scale to weigh your cabbage mixture.
1. Discard the outer leaves of your cabbage, setting one nicer leaf aside. Then, slice the cabbage into quarters, leaving the core in. This makes shredding easier.
2. Shred the cabbage quarters into the large bowl with the carrot and garlic mix. Incorporate enough cabbage to bring the total weight up to 28 oz (800 grams), which will fit a 1-quart (1-liter) jar.
3. Add salt and massage it into cabbage mixture for a few minutes until brine starts accumulating at the bottom of your bowl.
4. Pack cabbage mixture into a clean, 1-quart (1-liter) jar, pressing down to get rid of air pockets. Pour remaining brine into the jar. Air in the jar enables bad bacteria to grow, so make sure the mixture is completely submerged.
5. Use the cabbage leaf you set aside earlier and cut it to the size of your jar opening. Place it in the jar on top of the mixture to prevent veggies from floating to the surface.
6. Place a 4-oz jelly jar with no lid inside the larger jar, on top of the mixture. This will hold your veggie mixture below the brine during fermentation.
7. Screw the lid onto your 1-quart (1-liter) jar. It will press the jelly jar down, keeping your cabbage mixture below the brine. Leave the lid slightly loose, which will allow gases to escape during the fermentation process.
8. Keep at room temperature and out of direct sunlight for 1–4 weeks.
Keep in mind that the larger the head of cabbage you start with, the sweeter and better your sauerkraut will taste.
If you're impatient to taste your creation, you can do so after at least seven days. The longer you allow it to ferment, the stronger the taste will be.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.