Posted on 11-30-2016
Creamy Thai Carrot Sweet Potato Soup
(With thanks to Oh She Glows Every Day by Angela Liddon)
This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, soy-free option, grain-free, and freezer-friendly.
1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
2 cups diced sweet onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons red curry paste
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, plus more if needed
¼ cup raw almond butter
3 cups diced peeled carrots (1/2 inch dice)
3 cups diced peeled sweet potatoes
½ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Freshly ground pepper
Minced fresh cilantro
Roasted tamari almonds
Fresh lime juice
- In a large pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and saute for 5 to 6 minutes, until the onion is translucent
- Stir in the curry paste.
- In a small bowl, whisk together some of the broth with the almond butter until smooth. Add the mixture to the pot, along with the remaining broth, carrots, sweet potatoes, salt, and cayenne (if using). Stir until combined.
- Bring the soup to a low boil over medium-high heat and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes and carrots are fork-tender.
- Ladle the soup carefully into a blender. You will likely have to do this in a couple of batches, depending on the size of your blender. With the lid slightly ajar to allow steam to escape, blend on low and slowly increase the speed until the soup is completely smooth. (Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender and blend the soup directly in the pot.)
- Return the soup to the pot and season with salt and black pepper. If desired, you can thin the soup out with a bit more broth if it’s too thick for your preference. Reheat if necessary.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with minced cilantro, almonds, and a squeeze of lime juice, if desired. This soup will keep in the fridge for up to a week, and freezes well for 1 to 2 months.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.